Shock occurs when a person’s organs and tissue do not receive enough blood. The lack of blood denies the organs of oxygen, and they begin to shut down. If not treated, shock can lead to death. Our First Aid and CPR/AED courses, taught at our Brampton facility, will explain in detail how to treat a person experiencing shock. If you think a person is suffering from shock, you should call your local Emergency Medical Services (EMS).
The most common reasons for shock are infections, excessive blood loss, emotions from the effect of an event, large burns, a weak heart, and too much fluid loss because of diarrhea and vomiting (usually in children).
Signs to look out for
When taking our Standard First Aid and CPR course, you will be practicing scenarios with people experiencing shock. Signs to look out for are nausea and vomiting, extreme thirst, drowsiness or loss of consciousness, anxiety, weakness, paler than normal skin, fast breathing, cool and moist skin, and confusion.
What can you do?
While waiting for EMS to arrive, you should have the person relax and tend to the reason of the shock. Make sure the person stays warm and make sure they are breathing. Shock can be a traumatic experience so remember to reassure and comfort the person. By taking a First Aid and CPR/AED course you will learn how to properly take care of an injured individual.